Apr 13, 2020
Sophie's Sweet and Savory Chicken Tagine A Passover Treat
For a vegetarian version add one more can of chick peas and some zucchini. Thanks to Sophie Robbins Mestre for the recipe.
4 lb boneless, skinless Chicken thighs, halved
2 medium yellow onions, diced
4 cloves garlic chopped
1 1/2 tsp cumin
2 tsp turmeric
1 Tbsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne
2 tsp salt
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
1 8 oz can chick peas, rinsed and drained
1 quart chicken stock
1 lb sweet potatoes
1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
1/4 cup cilantro
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup dried apricots (or any other dried fruit you have/like)
1/2 lemon juiced
1/4 cup slivered almonds (optional)
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper, coat a large pot or dutch oven with a thin layer of olive oil and brown the chicken in batches over high heat, don't crowd the pieces. Don't worry if the chicken sticks a little, its good for the flavor of the sauce. Set aside.
2. Add the onions to the pot and saute over medium heat until translucent, scraping up any bits clinging to the bottom, about 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and all the spices.
3. Return the chicken to the pot with the tomatoes and chick peas. and stir in the stock- at least enough to cover, and simmer over low heat, or put in 325 degree oven.
4. After 30 minutes add the sweet potatoes and the butternut squash.
5. Continue to cook, with lid of pot ajar for a total of 1-2 hours, the longer the better.
(you can do up to this point and refrigerate overnight, reheat before serving)
6. before serving add the dried fruit and heat thoroughly
garnish with chopped cilantro and almonds.
Serve with rice, couscous or quinoa.