Lemon Cake Smitten KitchenAdapted from ‘Barefoot Contessa Parties!’
2 1/2 cups (500 grams) sugar
4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1/3 cup grated lemon zest (6 to 8 large lemons)
3 cups (375 grams) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon (5 grams) kosher salt
3/4 cup (175 ml) plus 3 1/2 tablespoons (50 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
3/4 cup (175 ml) buttermilk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
2 cups (240 grams) confectioners’ sugar, sifted.
Yield: 2 loaf cakes (or one bundt)
2 sticks (225 grams or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8 1/2-by-4 1/4-by-2 1/2-inch loaf pans, and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
2. Cream butter and 2 cups sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Mixing at medium speed, add eggs, one at a time, and lemon zest.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, buttermilk and vanilla. Add flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to butter and sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Divide batter evenly between pans, smooth tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.
4. Combine 1/2 cup sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan, and cook over low heat until sugar dissolves.
5. When cakes are done, let them cool 10 minutes. Invert them onto a rack set over a tray, and spoon lemon syrup over cakes. Let cakes cool completely.
6. For glaze, combine confectioners’ sugar and remaining 3 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a whisk until smooth. Pour over top of cakes, and allow glaze to drizzle down the sides.
Glazed Meyer Lemon Buttermilk Cake
from Tracey's Culinary Adventures, originally adapted from Cooking Light
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons Meyer lemon zest
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature (1 stick)
3 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
3 large eggs at room temperature
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 12 cup bundt pan with cooking spray with flour.
In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment add sugar and lemon zest. Using your hands, mix the sugar and zest until the zest becomes fragrant and even distributed through the sugar. Add the butter and mix on medium until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add in lemon juice and lemon extract and mix. With mixer on low add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg. Alternate adding flour mixture in three parts and buttermilk in two parts, starting and ending with the flour mixture until batter is just combined.
Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake on the middle rack for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes and turn out the cake. Allow to cool completely before glazing.
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons low-fat buttermilk
3-4 teaspoons Meyer lemon juice
Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl. Adjust lemon juice to achieve a thinner or thicker consistency depending on your preference. Pour glaze over the cooled cake.