|end of garden green tomatoes|
|Slices or Fritters- You Choose!|
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 3 large green tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or regular milk
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup of cornmeal
- 1/4 cup panko crumbs or crushed cracker crumbs (any cracker will do)
- 3/4 cup self rising flour
- Cajun or Creole seasoning to taste
- 1/4 cup (or more) shredded parmesan or pecorino cheese
1. Slice the tomatoes 1/4 inch thick. Lining them up on a clean linen towel (or paper towels), blot out excess water. Season generously with cajun or creole seasoning and let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Mix egg and milk together in a small bowl
3. Mix cornmeal, flour, and crumbs together in another bowl. Add creole seasoning to taste (use a lot!)
4. Heat oil in a heavy frying pan
5. Dip tomato slices into the milk and egg mixture, then into the coating mixture
6. Slip into the hot oil, (slices will sizzle immediately, if not, remove and get the oil hotter) and fry for 3-4 minutes per side, turning carefully.
7. When golden brown and crisp remove to brown paper bag or paper towels to drain
8. Sprinkle with more cajun seasoning and grated cheese.
for the fritter version:
Chop the tomatoes into 1/4 inch cubes
Mix the egg, milk, and cornmeal mixture together.
Stir the chopped tomatoes into the mixture, and spoon heaping tablespoons into the frying oil.
Fry until brown and crisp.
Sprinkle with cheese.
Here is the Dinosaur BBQ Sauce recipe:
1 1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup buttermilk
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup finely chopped chives
1 Tbsp. lemon pepper
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. Creole seasoning
1/4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese.