|Butternut Squash and Chard...Meet Barley|
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks (pierce with a knife and bake for 15 minutes to make it easier)
- 1 large chopped onion
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups pearled barley
- 1/2 cup white or rose wine
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 bunch of chard, stemmed and shredded (or substitute spinach, kale, or other green)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- freshly grated nutmeg
- Heat oven to 400° F. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven.
- Add the squash, onion, salt and pepper to taste, and cook, stirring untli the onion gets soft but not browned.
- Add the barley to the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Add the broth allow to boil, cover the pot and transfer it to oven. Bake until the barley is tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven. (can do ahead up to here).
- Return the pot to the stovetop, stir in the shredded kale, and cook briefly, stir in cheese Parmesan, and butter. Using a microplane grater, grate in fresh nutmeg.
- Serve with additional Parmesan.
Post a Comment
Comments welcome! Please Share Your Thoughts: