|Fish Course--on deck|
Chopped Liver with Jicama Slices and Celery Sticks
Chicken Soup with Matzo Balls
Tri-Color Vegetable Terrine (below)
Turkey Roast with Mango Sauce and Mango Salsa
Cauliflower Kugel "Muffins"
Lemon Meringue Pie (below)
This recipe by Levana Kirschenbaum is from www.chabad.org. You can make it a day or two ahead of time and keep it chilled. It makes a great change from Gefilte Fish, especially if you are making two seders.
Roasted Vegetable Terrine adapted from Emeril Lagasse
- 1 (1-pound) eggplant, stem and bottom end trimmed, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 pound zucchini, stems and bottom ends trimmed, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1/2 pounds yellow squash, stems and bottom ends trimmed, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
- Ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large red bell peppers (about 1 pound), roasted, with cores, seeds and skins removed
- 2 large yellow bell peppers (about 1 pound), roasted, with cores, seeds and skins removed
- 16 ounces fresh spinach, washed and stems removed, blanched and squeezed dry
- Sun-dried Tomato Sauce, recipe follows
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.Line 2 large baking sheets with aluminum foil, and lightly grease with olive oil. Lay the eggplant, zucchini, and squash slices in a flat layer, slightly overlapping. Brush with olive oil and lightly season with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven until soft and just golden around the edges, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a plate to cool. Repeat with the remaining vegetable slices.
In a food processor, combine the basil, parsley, and extra-virgin olive oil. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper, and mix well.
In a 6-cup terrine (12 by 3 by 3-inches), arrange the eggplant slices across the bottom and over the sides, overlapping the slices to completely cover the terrine. Top with slices of red pepper, zucchini, squash, spinach, and yellow pepper. Repeat layering with the remaining vegetable slices, brushing with parsley-basil. Wrap the overhanging eggplant over the bottom of the terrine. Wrap the terrine loosely in plastic wrap. Top with an equal sized terrine, or a piece of cardboard wrapped in aluminum foil. Place a brick or 2 heavy cans on top of the terrine and refrigerate at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours.
Remove from the refrigerator. Remove the weight and unwrap. Slice with a very sharp knife and serve 1 large or 2 thin slices per person with the Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce.
Sundried Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup tightly packed sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed), reconstituted in hot water and drained
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups extra-virgin olive oil
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the sun-dried tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, red pepper and black pepper, and puree on high speed. With the motor running, gradually add the oil through the feed tube and process until well combined.Pour into a container until ready to serve.
Yield: about 2 cups
Cauliflower Kugel Muffins (serves 6)
- 2 large onions thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets (about 8 cups)
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup matzo meal (breadcrumbs can be substituted if not for Passover)
- 3 tablespoons chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 450°F Toss cauliflower with 2 tablespoons oil, reserving remainder. Place cauliflower on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes tossing occasionally or until browned and tender. Reduce oven heat to 350
- Heat remaining oil in skillet over medium-high heat and add onions. Sprinkle with salt to help the juices come out. Sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes or until onions have softened.
- Turn heat to medium-low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 18 to 20 minutes or until onions are a thick tangled golden mass. Stir in honey.
- Pulse cauliflower in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in onions, eggs, matzo meal, dill and parsley. Season well with salt and pepper and place in oiled baking dish, or in well-greased muffin tins.Passover Lemon Meringue PieLemon Meringue Pie (very slightly adapted from The Molly Goldberg Jewish Cookbook)1 crust for a 9-inch pie or Manischewitz coconut pie shell
3 egg yolks
7/8 cup sugar
6 tablespoons margarine or butter
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
grated zest from 1 lemon
1/2 tsp. lemon extract
3 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
(If not using the Manischewitz shell, make a passover crust of your choice or this one into a 9-inch pie pan. Line the crust with a sheet of foil and fill with dry beans to help the crust keep its shape and not shrink while pre-baking. Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden. Remove foil and beans and set aside.)
Place 1 inch of water into the bottom of a double boiler and set the double boiler onto a burner. Bring water to a boil, then turn heat down to simmer.
Place the filling ingredients into the top of the double boiler and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens — 10 minutes or so. When it's ready, the mixture will coat the back of a spoon: you can dip the spoon into the filling and run your finger through the coating, but the mixture won't seep back in to fill the space. Pour the filling into the prepared crust and set aside while making the meringue.
Place the egg whites into a large mixing bowl. With an electric mixer, beat until the whites hold soft peaks. Add the sugar slowly and continue beating until the whites hold stiff peaks. Spread the meringue over the lemon filling, being sure that the meringue adheres to the crust all along the edge of the pie, sealing it completely, otherwise the meringue will shrink and not cover the filling.
Bake for 5-10 minutes until lightly golden.
Refrigerate uncovered at least 4 hours or until time to serve.
Do not cover with Plastic Wrap.